One of the things you find in the library literature is that we're considered a trustworthy organization. People love libraries (sometimes too much so!) and there's a warm and fuzzy feeling associated with the institution. They come to know us, want to say "hello" and like the tv show Cheers, are gratified when "everybody knows your name."
Christine pointed me to today's Wall Street Journal article Keen vs. Weinberger. These two authors squared off on web 2.0 and had very different views of where it's going. While the intellectual part flew over my head, one concept that resonated with me was the idea that we rely on the internet for "recommendations made by people we trust." Isn't this what we're Great at? Why do people want to spend time in the libraries? Isn't this the soul of our service?
Being in Digital Services and having worked in the public, you can argue that the computers and usage of them are overtaking other aspects of our business (e.g. the reading and the programs). Maybe i'm being too optimistic in thinking that our contacts with the public can continue to be meaningful and relevant. I may be jumping off of a cliff - even - to say that online interactions can have meaning and relevance, too. Why wouldn't i follow with breathless anticipation every time JoAnne posts a comment about a book when i love everything she recommends? Is that any less an experience than having talked with her face-to face? In a world where i feel i don't have much time, logging in to find JoAnne's comments feels personal to me, being able to respond to her even more so.
Is it generational that the information imparted virtually carries less meaning than that which is face to face? For the younger generation, IM'ing is sufficient - they're happy with the emoticons and don't feel like they've lost any meaning in conversation. This paragraph is generalizing and paints with broad strokes my concept of communication between generations and is my personal thought (how's that for a disclaimer?). besides, i'm at a loss on how else to end this post......time to go home
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The internet has allowed people to access more information, find people with similar interests and contact people more frequently. But people still like to meet & talk face-to-face. Teens still meet and go out, adults (young & old) still go to clubs & bars. The internet has given us more opportunity for contact (be it virtual), but that doesn't mean that people don't want to meet physically.
What does that mean for libraries? I guess it means that we need to create meaningful situations for people to visit libraries for that physical content.
Which leads me to an interesting question - could our quest to be digitally trendy drive people away from our libraries? If I can read JoAnne's online review or watch her video on YouTube, why go to the library to see her in person? Why attend a booktalk presentation or a book club if it can be done online?If we are trying to bring people into our branches, why are we giving them reason to stay at home?
Certainly, the web gives us great opportunity to bring more information into the hands of the library patron, filtered for quality as opposed to a Google search, and improves access to those who can not reach the library physically. Allowing patron comments increases a feeling of community and involvement, but it also opens the discussion to those outside of our library community (whose taxes pay for the service).
We need to have reasons for people to visit the library - perhaps giving them too much online, defeats the purpose. It's a difficult balance.
What Andrew said resonates with me, and makes me uneasy. I used to know who the grocery checkers were at King Soopers; now I do self-serve checkout and I find it convenient and easy. Same with my bank; I haven't been inside one in years and have no idea who the tellers are.
But I think the library is a more personal thing and I believe the "going to the library" tradition is important to the public. And they still have to come in and pick up their books, right? Even if they did pick them out online. Maybe we should be like the grocery store and stick the much-wanted hold items in the back corner like they do with bread and milk. That way they have to see a lot of other stuff on the way and will pick up a few more items, boosting circ figures!
I think there is a difference though, people go to the library because they want to (usually) and not because they have to.
For me, I would think the more interaction (online/in person) I have with the library, the more likely I would be to visit. I can't see virtual interaction keeping me away, are people going to presentations to just hear about a book, or are they going to socialize too? People with the purpose of getting out of the house and socializing will not be kept away by having this content available online.
I think no matter what format our patrons are taking advantage of our services with, we are keeping them involved, and doing that in every way that is available is important.
Good points everyone.
Post a Comment