Friday, October 19, 2007

Oh Rosetta, where art thou?

Unlike any other database...... Rosetta Stone has prompted patrons to actually email and compliment us for offering it! They are so pleased to have language learning. I could'a fallen from my chair when the first email came in - i mean - how often does a patron compliment us about databases? Usage continues to rise among all of the languages, which is always a good sign, too, in database-land.

Then comes the call from Rosetta, they will no longer support the same public library model they just offered us! Come June 2008 when our current subscription expires, so will Rosetta Stone from our online offerings. Rosetta has chosen to offer their library service as a CD ROM product instead. Yes, you read correctly - CD ROM.....that which we moved away from, that which we no longer support, that which only offers patrons usage within a library - ick!

Since i've heard from a few staff asking about it, thought the blog could be a way to communicate it as questions arise. We will be investigating other products to see if there's another alternative. In the meantime, don't forget that Ovedrive offers some language learning.

Have a great weekend....I'm on my way to leaf-raking ...... isn't it a joy to live in Colorado?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd give Mango Languages a try. I've heard of some libraries that find it to be a nice alternative.