Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Aren't vacations great? or Let's talk Site Map

That special time when a fully functioning brain goes to mush when fingers don't have to make contact with a keyboard on a daily basis.......... Yes, i was out and while the word "vacation" may mean "rest" or "fun" mine could be more classified as "working mom trying to cram in as much getting ready for school stuff during time off of work"........ but if you want the name of a good oral surgeon, I'd be happy to talk with you!

So now that it's back to work brain mode, here's the subject of today's blog - site maps. You know, those things on websites you look for when you're searching for something...... kinda like an index (of which Wikipedia says is a more accurate term). Our site does not have a site map/index. We have relied on the "search this site" feature insted. But it was pointed out to me today that this can bring back way too many results in which the most relevant one may not be within the top 10! In the Google world we live in today, this is bad, bad, bad!

My own experience with using site maps is when i can't find something on the website. If i'm feeling generous with my time then i will resort to the site map to help me find something........

So while I research site map pros and cons, how do you feel about 'em? Like 'em? Use 'em? Totally useless?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did ask this question in an earlier post - see the end of Tuesday, July 31, 2007 (Meaningful Space) - my reply at that time...
"I often use the site map of a website, because the search box doesn't often give good results - by looking at the whole site, I can often figure out where it is I might want to go to get the info I need"
...to me it's another tool to help the user find the information they are looking for.
Quickly looking at the list of other library web sites you provided: King County, LAPL, NYPL, Seattle, JeffCO all use site maps/indexes

Anonymous said...

I think a site map would be a very useful feature for both staff and patrons. Since the site will be changing so much it would be nice for surfers to have a way to quickly find the things they're used to using.