Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Teen Stuff

With all this talk of reworking the main Arapaoelibraries.org site many staff might be wondering what about the teen section. Well wonder no more. We are still considering many changes to the way we present teen content, and a redesign, to give the teen section its own look, is definitely an option on the table. Admittedly the main site is still going to be our main focus; however if we can find a way to do both areas at once with the resources we have then by golly we'll do it.

At present we have been doing some focus groups with teens, and some polling of staff. I had the pleasure of attending one of those focus groups. The teens in attendance were asked to react and comment to various library teen sites. One that indeed garnered a positive reaction was westerville's which is really just a blog, but with some cool features. I encourage all of you to take a look at their teen site and react to it as well. I would love to get some of your comments on it. We are very interested in doing something similar to what they have done.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it's a really fun and interesting teen page they have, and it's a great idea.
I have noticed some teens like to leave comments on blogs just to be the "first one" to leave a comment, so giving them something worthwile to read while they do their blogging thing is a plus!

Anonymous said...

At my one and only teen focus group the boys who went to westerville's site did not know it was a library site, initially. The URL did not give it away. They also did not know what those floating boxes were for but stuck with the page to explore further! One teen even entered his caption on the photo box while another moved to the right side to find homework stuff.

Amanda said...

If I didn't know right away, I may have been fooled too! It's definitely a cool and fun site.