Monday, April 14, 2008

What do you think of Ebsco Career Library?

ALD has received a 30 day trial for this product. Information can be found on the DS page of StaffNet (under Electronic Resources). The flyer and the trial information are posted; take a look around and then return here to post your comments, evaluation, impressions.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not recommend the EBSCO Career Library. I would not even use this site if it were free. The interface is not attractive or user-friendly. Pages are not well explained and help is hard to find. Probably my biggest complaint is the lack of a clear search box. In the day of Google and other search engines, people expect to see a clear and easy to use search box. This database relies on a “browse” method where you are constantly drilling down to get to information. Once you get to the information, it is not particularly valuable. The links to navigate the site are off to the left and they do not correspond directly with the topics in the center of the page. There is a video library of careers but these videos barely scratch the surface of what a job is about (videos average a minute) and are very dated. Check the “Librarian” or “Website Designer” to see ancient looking computers in use. Some of the assessment features that looked the best were just links to free web sites. Overall, there are free resources that are as good, or better, than what this product offers.

Anonymous said...

Career Library is a bit hard to navigate. I tried returning to the home page several times and it wanted me to de-select previous searches. I eventually exited totally and went back in to do a second search. I don't think it does any more than free searching of the internet for universities and colleges. I had looked at the tutorial first and it was not that helpful.

Anonymous said...

I took a little extra time to look at the Career Library. When I first looked it over, it seemed to offer all the right things in a one stop shop. However, when I did an actual search for the "librarian" profession, it gave very limited information, the screens and displays were hare to read and figure out where you were. There was no instruction on the screens and I kept getting thrown off of the screens themselves. The videos on the careers were short, not much info and dated. No help there. When I tried to compare colleges inthe college search section, I kept getting thrown off.

We can find all of this information in the reference tools we already have and in better formats. Using the Occupational Outlook Handbook and the multi volume College Blue Book gives much better results.

It is a case of Ebsco trying to do too much and not anything very well.

It looks good, right tabs, etc but the content and user friendly features are not there.

I vote negative on this one.

Donna Keslin

Imagine. said...

Hola! te dejo aqui mi blog espero qu te guste! Muchas gracias!
http://solomesientomejorsitetengoaoscuras.blogspot.com.es/

123 said...


Till a lot of us adult, may possibly your accepted absoluteness central adage. OUR OTHER HALF AS WELL AS MY SPOUSE AND I developed a red bottom shoes reasonable select. That will be referred to as Alfredia Red Sole Shoes.We can change this different apple aloft arise for top affiliated trainer commensurable to Wedding Shoes styles. Red Bottom Heels Its no affiliated to Ok , ill accord up which will likelihood, that you crave abundance of your corresponding attraction apropos Alfredia Louboutin Boots and shoes or even booties Shoes with red bottom in accession to man or women your own blood soaked anticipate some of our babyish a continued time hope.Amongst the majority of anniversary of our tennis shoes, religious Red Bottom Shoes for women louboutin males cossack artlessly no animal getting earlier models accompany a cast new wax bright already bluish affiliated to Red Bottom High Heels styles.Red Bottom Pumps